The inserted photo shows Mann St from about 60m south of the Etna St intersection looking in a south direction towards the Gosford CBD in the 1960’s.
The larger photo was taken in January 2013 from roughly the same location but using a wider angle lens to reveal more detail in the sides.
Gosford Packing House and Co-Operative Citrus Packing House
The old Packing house hardware store that later became Mitre10 is seen on the left of Mann St before the Bean St intersection and the Co-Operative Citrus Packing House across the road that had a rail siding for the transportation of the local produce.
The hardware store in its time was once the biggest on the coast but due to a number of factors through time it closed on December 19 2008.
The cooperative for the packing house was formed in early 1920’s by a few of the local fruit growers and grew to very good success. A Sydney Morning Herald article in 1925 stated reported that “The Gosford House is the pioneer co-operative citrus packing house in New South Wales, and it was largely Its example and the phenomenal success attained which led to the formation of the other ten packing houses in the citrus growing districts“. Further in the article the Packing House is described as “The dimensions of the extended packing house are 105 by 53 foot. Each variety of citrus fruit is stacked on separate spaces on the receiving floor, where it is carried to a hopper, and elevated to the grading belt. This belt moves slowly enough to allow the graders to sort out the various qualities. Another belt conveys fruit to, the weighing bins, thence to the two sluing machines, each of which is double-sided. The fruit is packed direct from the bins on each side of the siding belt. A railway siding has been installed alongside the packing house, and the packed fruit is loaded direct into trucks. The grading and sizing and conveyor belts are now worked by electric power”.
There was a fire in the Citrus co-op in June 1934 and from newspaper report in July 1934 it was reported that the old building was being replaced “new premises of steel and concrete on the site of the building recently destroyed by fire are nearing completion”.
Looking at the 2013 photo, the building on the right with Zone 3 Laser Tag signage, this building was destroyed by fire only days after this photo was taken.
Other interesting features
On the left of the larger photo can be seen the Central Coast Eurocars building, this is the old Parsons garage that was also the local NRMA branch before the Henry Pary Dr building replaced it. Today the large fascia on the front of the building may hide what I remember as a 2 storey premises on the darker painted section and the workshop below still exists.
If you would like to include information or an experience you have in relation to this page please do so using the comment section below.
All comments are assessed for their relevance and therefore do not get published immediately.
Your other photos and stories are more than welcome to be contributed to ThenAndToday, please use this link for more information on how to contribute.